Re: How many overwrites for secure erase?

Unruh wrote:
bealoid <signup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

"Sebastian G." <seppi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in

[snip]

Either you have a really really long fire (hours till days) of
constant high heat, or you may simply resort to degaussing or acid.

Obviously: Degaussing the platters, not the whole drive. Which I've seen people recommend as a way of disk erasing.

Degaussing would I think be a terrible technique. It wold leave data all
over the place. Fire will do it-- raise the temp about the neal point and
the domains all disappear.

You have to shred the drive at the point of origin so it can be transported with minimum security to the smelter; i.e. junk dealer.

  • Re: How many overwrites for secure erase?
    ... or you may simply resort to degaussing or acid. ... people recommend as a way of disk erasing. ... Maybe you should look up how degaussing works... ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How many overwrites for secure erase?
    ... or you may simply resort to degaussing or acid. ... people recommend as a way of disk erasing. ... Degaussing would I think be a terrible technique. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • YAWP - First Win {TOME}
    ... and headed off to Angband to kill Morgoth. ... It does extra damage from fire and frost. ... It cannot be harmed by acid, cold, ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • [YAWP] V3.1.1 Dunadan Paladin
    ... Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • YAWP (Vanilla 3.1.1): Ridiculous character
    ... and electricity (could trade electricity along with +2 speed for immunity ... Provides immunity to acid. ... Provides resistance to acid, nether. ... Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)