Re: How many overwrites for secure erase?

"Sebastian G." <seppi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

bealoid wrote:

Rick Merrill <rick0.merrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

[snip]

For you and I (assuming You're not a spy) a single overwite is
quite enough - to get stuff off it requires extreme measures.

Here's the thing: What attacks exist to recover data over-written just once
with a bunch of 0 bits?

A very simple one:

1. read the data as a analogue signal

How?
2. interpret the signal as digital signal
3. calculate the ideal analogue signal that represents these digital data
4. calculate the difference between the two, the result is the overlap of
the previous signal(s) and noise
Yes, noise dominates.
(5. repeat)

What good does that do. The noise is there on the platter And because of
the very complex data encoding that "signal " has only an indirect
relation to the actual data.

No company (AFAIK) will recover data overwritten like that.

AFAIK many companies actually offer this procedure if more trivial measures
fail, but for a horrible price.

Perhaps you could tell us some, and tell us how you know they offer this
service.

So now the attack model has to assume exotic alien tech.

The above is not alien. However, the success rate with modern hard drives
should be in the dimension of 1%, that is they'll recover each bit correctly
with a chance of 51%, 1% different from pure guessing (which is still
statistically significant).

  • Re: [ANN] flatulent-0.0.1 ascii captcha for the masses
    ... You'll conveniently put all the noise characters ... this just rules out brute force attacks. ... position the image and characters within the image. ... there are no ascii art regognition programs that i am aware of. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: FOOB 5/1/07: Gah.
    ... than graveyards, spam catchers, and gorified BBS's for the same six ... too much noise. ... left are an interesting bunch. ... that doesn't necessarily indicate that Usenet is dying. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Thats not katydids!
    ... Found a quiet street on the way home tonight, ... It sounds like a bunch of crickets ... quieter and higher pitched than the front derailer usually makes. ... but I've put on about 100 miles or so; hadn't noticed the noise until ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: FOOB 5/1/07: Gah.
    ... than graveyards, spam catchers, and gorified BBS's for the same six ... too much noise. ... alt.fan.dragonlance...a big disappointment, but great for looking stuff up ... left are an interesting bunch. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: Isolation Transformer Recommendation?
    ... I have recently posted regarding a noise problem I'm having with my Bass Pod ... into an Isolation transformer. ... There's a BUNCH ... hum reducers / isolation transformers? ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)