Re: Hijacker

Todd H. wrote:

Ertugrul Söylemez <es@xxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:59:36 GMT
"nemo_outis" <abc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In general, you will find that cleaning your system usually does not
require flattening and rebuilding - despite Sebastian's (mis-)advice.
There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without
requiring such drastic and tiresome methods.
He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way
to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed.

Indeed.

There's quite a difference between "most spyware" and "all malware."

The problem is that's no way to differ between those, thus no "removal tool" could provide just any non-zero reliability.

Do you think that one could reasonably work with a computer that must be reasonably distrusted with everything he does?

  • Re: Hijacker
    ... There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without ... He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way ... to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: cydoor/altnet & others
    ... When I'm concerned about my privacy AND detect spyware: ... between a compromise or just an attempt? ... > person or enterprise should go through the hassle of flattening. ... doesn't, its CRAP, worst CRAP, and its vendor has to be sued for beeing ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: cydoor/altnet & others
    ... rootkits on them. ... it," because probably over 90% of the systems out there have spyware... ... person or enterprise should go through the hassle of flattening. ... The rebuild has to be done right to have the ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: cydoor/altnet & others
    ... flattening is NOT the only option. ... I will admit that host-based firewalls can have ... 100% infalliable security countermeasures is not always the right decision. ... For all the hype and FUD, spyware / adware "infections" ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Hijack Logs To Tom Coyote
    ... then flattening and rebuilding is the ... whereas the non-executable user data ... a spreadsheet with money accounting data - one ...
    (alt.computer.security)