Re: win2000 - 1000s of ports opened

halimtan wrote:
Hi, just wondering if anbody can help. I have a w2k server running
java applications for the past 4 years. No problems at all. Past 3
days we experienced program crashes etc. When the server is cold-
booted, an error says "At least 1 service or driver failed during
system startup". When I do a "netstat -a" I get a scroll of listening
ports, dont know how many, must be several thousands. Is the server
hacked? I have ZoneAlarm (free version) installed. What do I do now?
Can I close these ports manually or via ZoneAlarm? Thanks all.

If you do not have a real firewall, they are trying to break into your system within minutes of power up. At least use a router...