Re: Malware

eager wrote:

My friend's computer, running XP Media Centre 2002, was infected with Malware, viruses, and Trojan horses
His Norton had expired long time ago. I downloaded and installed Antivir, the free version, did a system recovery and free online scanning using Trend Micro HouseCall.

I also suggested my friend to take his computer to a computer store to format the HDD and re-install windows, because he did not have a winXP CD. Probably he did not get a CD when he purchased his computer.

I could not get to start his PC in safe mode either ....

I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware,

malware = malicious software = software written with malicious intent

how does it damage the computer

in every physically and logically possible way

and what are the symptoms?

.... every physically and logically possible way. That means it could perfectly emulate an uninfected system to hide its presence.

What is the difference between the malware and the viruses?

virus: a program that infects other programs

I know that Trojan horses are kind of spyware

Not necessarily. A trojan horse is supposed to provide access to a third party, it might but doesn't have to be used to transmit personal data to this third party.

and do not damage the computer,

Of course they can, and most do.

worms are dangerous for networks rather than for a stand-alone PC,

Worms are viruses that replicate among network boundaries.

I am also trying to understand the difference between access deny, delete and move to quarantine options.

There is none: the system is compromised and cannot be trusted anymore.

  • Re: Malware
    ... I downloaded and installed Antivir, the free version, did a system recovery and free online scanning using Trend Micro HouseCall. ... I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware, how does it damage the computer and what are the symptoms? ... What is the difference between the malware and the viruses? ... I know that Trojan horses are kind of spyware and do not damage the computer, worms are dangerous for networks rather than for a stand-alone PC, etc. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Malware
    ... types of malware are viruses, worms, logic bombs, Trojan horses, and back ... different warning for malware. ... I guess, malware is a general term that refers to viruses, worms, logic ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Malware
    ... I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware, ... What is the difference between the malware and the viruses? ... Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system ... I know that Trojan horses are kind of spyware and do not damage the ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] AV Naming Convention
    ... The problem here is the way viruses have been getting classified through the ... Malware stands for "malicious software". ... Another example is the one of Trojan horses. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Mac Bug Exploit Appears
    ... term/word as a "collection of various types of Viruses, Spyware, ... Trojans, ... the correct one from the beginning of time is "Malware" is: ... Trojans, etc, so is be default incorrect. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)