Malware

My friend's computer, running XP Media Centre 2002, was infected with
Malware, viruses, and Trojan horses
His Norton had expired long time ago. I downloaded and installed Antivir,
the free version, did a system recovery and free online scanning using Trend
Micro HouseCall.

I also suggested my friend to take his computer to a computer store to
format the HDD and re-install windows, because he did not have a winXP CD.
Probably he did not get a CD when he purchased his computer.

I could not get to start his PC in safe mode either ....

I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware, how does it
damage the computer and what are the symptoms?
What is the difference between the malware and the viruses?

Wikipedia:

Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system
without the owner's informed consent. It is a portmanteau of the words
"malicious" and "software". The expression is a general term used by
computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or
annoying software or program code.

I know that Trojan horses are kind of spyware and do not damage the
computer, worms are dangerous for networks rather than for a stand-alone PC,
etc.

I am also trying to understand the difference between access deny, delete
and move to quarantine options.

I know there are so many questions raised in my post, but any little help
would be much appreciated.

  • Re: Malware
    ... I downloaded and installed Antivir, the free version, did a system recovery and free online scanning using Trend Micro HouseCall. ... I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware, how does it damage the computer and what are the symptoms? ... What is the difference between the malware and the viruses? ... I know that Trojan horses are kind of spyware and do not damage the computer, worms are dangerous for networks rather than for a stand-alone PC, etc. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mac Bug Exploit Appears
    ... term/word as a "collection of various types of Viruses, Spyware, ... Trojans, ... the correct one from the beginning of time is "Malware" is: ... Trojans, etc, so is be default incorrect. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Malware
    ... Malware, viruses, and Trojan horses ... I am trying to find some info regarding what is a malware, ... A trojan horse is supposed to provide access to a third party, it might but doesn't have to be used to transmit personal data to this third party. ... Worms are viruses that replicate among network boundaries. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mac Bug Exploit Appears
    ... Some people incorrectly use that term/word as a "collection of various types of Viruses, Spyware, Trojans, etc" but that is wrong. ... The totally incorrect usage is "Malware" which is software in a collective sense, Viruses, Trojans, etc. ... Yes, valid, everyday software that has been altered to become "malicious", but this definition obviously doesn't include Viruses or Trojans, etc, so is be default incorrect. ... Facts are things that can be proven, NOT things that exist in the little world you made up in your mind. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Malware
    ... types of malware are viruses, worms, logic bombs, Trojan horses, and back ... different warning for malware. ... I guess, malware is a general term that refers to viruses, worms, logic ...
    (alt.computer.security)