Re: Should I be afraid???

Bubba wrote:

Leythos <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:MPG.2189a45392f13db39896e3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

You could have any number of malware on the computer, but you really need to determine if you are actually compromised.

Wouldn't the clean install negate that possibility? I only installed SP4, factory supplied audio and video drivers, ZoneAlarm, Firefox, and then finally the network card driver.

Where is that a clean install? You installed ZoneAlarm again, so how could you get any reliable networking at all?

Done. It doesn't see what ZoneAlarm is reporting but it's seeing plenty of other things. That much traffic is kind of scary.

OK. And now what about any reliable information source on any reliable system?

All things done. ZoneAlarm still reports blocking attempts. But I do feel safer now.

Huh? You have ZoneAlarm installed. Now how could you be safe in any way? And do you have any reliable reports somewhere?

Also, I told ZoneAlarm to "Stop all internet activity" and a couple of blocks still happened, but not at the same furious rate as before, and then they stopped completely. Could this be something that Zonealarm itself is doing? And why wouldn't any of this be happening on XP?

Because ZoneAlarm is a nondeterministic software supposed to randomly introduce networking errors? Seems to work quite well.

For all I know this has been happening for years and I just never noticed. But now that I have noticed, it worries me.

Wait a moment... you have been running ZoneAlarm on this machine for years long? Now you should seriously consider the machine as compromised and you being a total fool.

Are there any other ideas? I'm thinking a new NAT router might be a good way to go.

No, you're not thinking about it at all. Anyway else you'd immediately notice that this is another foolish idea.

  • Re: Security - Hacker?
    ... install something like Zonealarm (I run Zonealarm and ... turning off the cable modem for a while and getting a new ... I don't know if this is a computer problem or a ...
  • Re: ZoneAlarm Pro install with Anonymizer
    ... > I recently upgraded from the free ZoneAlarm to ZoneAlarm Pro which I ... > with that Web browser anonymizer software they offer on the ZA Web site ... > You can try to force an install using the /NCRC command line switch (but ... A firewall on its own should be enough. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: AV and firewall recommendations
    ... protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you might download and ... install inadvertently. ... Personal Firewall is superior by far, although it does take a heavier ... Currently I use Norton AV and ZoneAlarm on Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: AV and firewall recommendations
    ... protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you might download and ... install inadvertently. ... Personal Firewall is superior by far, although it does take a heavier ... Currently I use Norton AV and ZoneAlarm on Windows ...
  • Re: Zonealrarm Pro Ver 5.0.590.015 Problem with ICS
    ... >I have just downloaded and Installed/Upgraded to subject Zonealarm Pro ... >free Version on the ICS client. ... >whilst Zonealarm is running on the host. ... >new install option and prior to the upgrade both 'puters could connect to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)