Re: Avast silent mode problem...

Ricardo wrote:
Uzytkownik "Fenny Fox" <ff01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisal w wiadomosci news:jtYKi.129897$Mu5.31262@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
While there are ways (various privilege escalation exploits) to possibly get admin rights anyway,
Propably having a chance on a dramatically badly protected system. With drive encryption (including OS partition) and preboot authentication as well as fresh updates, tight firewall and restrictive user accounts, it is very problematic unless you use quite sofisticated techniques like TEMPEST attack or something.

Drive encryption wouldn't protect against malicious code on an running system... it's transparent to the system. OTFE is an "offline threat" protection mechanism - i.e., machines, drives, or media being stolen.

I'm talking about exploits using known bugs, to gain elevated privileges - or similar bugs not yet discovered, that may be in the future.

Firewalls fall under the same philosophy.

Fresh updates are key in this area, as well as restrictive user accounts.

--
Fenny Fox
http://fenrisfox.livejournal.com

  • Re: lockup.zonelabs.com
    ... software and media piracy that they are writing protections into their ... I agree they have every right to protect themselves from illegal use ... And without adding more bugs to an already infested program! ... > I had a problem with ZoneAlarm always wanting to connect to the internet. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: I got et up
    ... bodies to protect themselves from bugs. ... They just tolerate the bites ... As a related thing to the mud, I know concrete dust is a mosquito ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Buffer overflow prevention
    ... of StackGuard: it is an intrusion prevention technique, ... fault where buffer overflow bugs appear. ... StackGuard and ProPolice only ... ProPolice does not protect functions containing arrays of length 7 or ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: How do I protect against rootkits
    ... cannot compromise any services running on my machine. ... buffer/heap overflows and some similar bugs). ... You can protect against ... The story changes for kernel bugs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: pcx graphics in word 2003?
    ... entries to the others in the Import key (changing the names to protect the ... * All programs contain bugs. ... All non-trivial programs contain non-trivial ...
    (microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics)