Re: Avast silent mode problem...

Ricardo wrote:

Configuring Avast Home Edition I happened on a cool option called "Silent mode". If I get it right, is is supposed to automatically do the job in case of a certain problem, e.g. virus found without bugging the user. However if you switch the "Solent mode" on then another problem arises, whethter to choose "With general answer YES (OK)" or "With general answer NO (Cancel)". How do I interpret the two?! Which is more safe and restrictive?

This is a totally stupid idea. A virus scanner is an intrusion detection system and should give the user a loud and clear alert if it detects something.

> I am interested in a silent mode killing everything suspicious (even if
> there is some risk of a mistake) without bothering the user.

That's even more stupid. You're even trying the delete the only evidence of a compromise?

> I am afraid that some unexperienced users may unintentionally let a virus
> into the system.

The do something against viruses, f.e. implementing a whitelist policy for programs. A virus scanner, however, won't protect against viruses.

  • Re: Risk of surfing web while on PDA question
    ... I wouldn't worry too much about viruses. ... there is a virus scanner available from Air Scanner I think. ... > virus software package available for windows pocket pcs? ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
    ... AVG works for them. ... infected mails have been modified and "cleaned" by a virus scanner during ... Other than the email attachment viruses, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Hotmail not scanned?
    ... As long as you have the regular NAV client installed on your computer, ... it will detect viruses from any and all email programs. ... if you received a virus or worm-infected email and forwarded it on to a ... fixed if your friend has a virus scanner installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Free Virus Scanner Programs
    ... virus scanner and I hope that I don't have to re-install XP. ... AVG had at least a couple of virus active on them - I believe the ... Sysclean executable - you can't run it from CD-R as it needs to unpack ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Bloodhound.exploit.6 Trojan
    ... It is not clear to me that you have removed this virus. ... virus scanner such as Housecall from Trend Micro. ... of links to various online virus scanners at the end of this thread. ... How can I get my computer to go into safe mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)