Re: security at public internet points

invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Beachcomber) wrote in
news:46f6b1a3.3669453@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Use VPN, Tor, etc. to *tunnel through* the access point to a trusted
server elsewhere (e.g., a third-party server or even just one's home
machine that has been set up appropriately for this purpose.)

Can someone recommend a good VPN client for a Windows PC?

OpenVPN: server & client

The best! And you can't beat the price: free!

http://openvpn.net/

I am assuming that I would have to installer companion server software
on my machine and have some sort of semi-public access, at least to
the point of the encrypted server. Is that right?

Yep. OpenVPN is pretty straightforward but if you have a NAT router etc.
to futz with, figure on taking a Saturday afternoon to get everything set
up right (configure a TAP driver, make a certificate, setup the server &
client conf files, etc.).

Regards,

PS And not just for Windows - also Linux, *BSDs, Mac, etc.

  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... Open Server Management. ... then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... >From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Probleme mit openvpn
    ... Irgendwo muss man dem Interface doch eine IP zuodrnen ... ... Ich habe openvpn durch /etc/init.d/openvpn start gestartet und er meldet ... # TCP or UDP server? ... # and each of the client certificates. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • fc5 + openvpn + not routing across the tunnel..
    ... I have configured openvpn in my lab ... bad source address from client, ... the server is configured as follows ... # This config item must be copied to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [Fedora] Re: VPN
    ... I'll share my working OpenVPN server config with you. ... I have mine set to use PAM authentication (meaning they'd need an account on your F10 server, LDAP or otherwise) and ignores client certificates, which could be bad, but it's just me and it's passworded with the user account access. ... # the firewall for the TUN/TAP interface. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... The printers with 9x drivers on the server appeared automatically in the ... > then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... > From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)