Re: MD5 Alive?

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

MD5 does not, and in fact cannot, guarantee uniqueness. If, like stated
above, MD5 with the same input space as output space is a bijection,
then it does guarantee uniqueness for inputs of exactly 128 bits, but we
don't know that even for the original MD5.

Actually we should assume quite the contrary: If MD5 is a pseudorandom function, than it's a pseudorandom mapping and therefore about 1/e of all outputs will not occur, and about the same number will be collisions.

  • Re: MD5 Alive?
    ... above,MD5with the same input space as output space is a bijection, ... of MD5 would not help me. ... in this is NOT making MD5 any more secure and in fact might be making ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: MD5 Alive?
    ... MD5 with the same input space as output space is a ... but we don't know that even for the original MD5. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: My my, how time flies ...... its been about "1 hour"
    ... > an attack on MD5, regardless of how many times such claims are reiterated, ... > but is instead solely an attack on the input space. ... only 20 characters of lower-case english letters. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: MD5 Alive?
    ... MD5 is weak regarding collision resistance. ... MD5 does not, and in fact cannot, guarantee uniqueness. ... above, MD5 with the same input space as output space is a bijection, ... If you find MD5 too weak, use another hash function, but I ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: My my, how time flies ...... its been about "1 hour"
    ... If I had said that MD5 could be reversed, yes, I would've been incorrect, ... From this 1-1 function with the restricted input ... but is instead solely an attack on the input space. ...
    (sci.crypt)