Re: Password vault software

I searched on "demo mode" in Avira's forums and found several posts which state that I need to download and also install the hbdev.key (a license file). After installing AntiVir, I need to copy this file into AntiVir's install directory and reboot. Despite the install generating a random serial number, apparently you need this newer license file. So I did the following in a virtual machine:

- Download latest version of AntiVir.
- Download new hbdev.key file.
- Install Antivir but choose to NOT do any updates (so they'd be available later since never applied yet).
- The product's status says it license expires on 11/30/2007.
- I set the clock ahead to 12/14/2007, two weeks after the expiration and supposedly within the 1 month extension.
- Rebooted the VM.
- Tried to do an update.
- The update failed with "no valid license key" and "key expired [DEMO Mode]".

So feel lucky that you have an older version and/or a license key that pushes the expiration out a long ways for you. I can only get a 3-month trial of AntiVir Personal Classic (the free version).

  • Re: WindowsUpdate_80240016 error
    ... They guy has just directed you to download malicious or crapware. ... Update will not install and shows Error Code 80240016 - computer runs forever but nothing happens. ... - but Vista will not allow me to rename the folder even tho I am an Admin ... Stop the Windows Update service ...
  • Re: spyware not working
    ... You cannot really "download from a disc" - you could install. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... More full function applications for CD/DVD burning would be: ...
  • Solution for 646
    ... Before you install the update, click on the link on the page (cannot remember ... I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. ... "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to ... that button then run or save the installer package then proceed to execute ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Trojan / Adware infection on Windows XP Pro computer
    ... > can install on the infectedcomputer so that I don't have to contect to ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... - Roll back the clock with System Restore ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: As I use Internet Explorer I get this pop up-
    ... Download and install the Flash Player and Shockwave Players from the sites I ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ...