SSL and Anti-Virus

Is there an anti-virus program that can scan incoming mail that is

My provider recently required users to convert to SSL encrypted POP3
and STMP ports. This disabled my anti-virus software (and also
anti-spam) which can't read encrypted messages or attachments either
incoming or outgoing.

The provider has given me no clear answer on whether they perform
anti-virus scans before I download email to my client. They do claim
that encryption protects against viruses, but it seems to me even an
encrypted emal or attachment can contain a virus.