Re: Erasing File Data

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

In other words, there may be an arbitrary amount of replications on your
drive. To securely make it unrestorable, you need to delete the file,
and then wipe your entire partition, including existing content, and
additionally all partitions, which are swap partitions (under
Unix/Linux), or where swap files are or were present. (pagefile.sys in
Windows). Finally all partitions, where temporary storage is or was
present.

Or you have just encrypted everything.

Don't worry. You can wipe the space used by existing files, without
destroying them.

You can also wipe almost all the space that is not used by existing files.

> I don't know of any program, which does that, though.

Hm... maybe Eraser? Just came to mind...

  • Re: Cleaning a computer - any other views here?
    ... partitions and formatting or do you feel that it is satisfactory ... In my shop we wipe, delete all partitions, etc... ... Well, since I've not seen, actually myself, any malware that inserts ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Reinstalling SUSE
    ... On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Bob Bob wrote:- ... one the disk is only written one block at a time. ... wipe the partition table rather than completely wipe the drive. ... I'd forgotten to umount one of the partitions after checking to ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: rant of the day: installing fedora
    ... I did NOT want to wipe out all the partitions, ... Interesting observation, Fedora 19 is blisteringly fast on my old Dell1520 and much slower on my Desktop which was a FedUp upgrade, so I'm still not convinced that upgrade is the way to fly Fedora airlines. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: rant of the day: installing fedora
    ... I did NOT want to wipe out all the partitions, ... How did you get past the screen that only lets you pick a whole disk ... when installing on a system that contains data I want to preserve. ...
    (Fedora)