Re: This free firewall any good?

"Rusty James" <ferrante276-rustyjames@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hkait2tq5ri565tmb4jnmo5qml4qcbfjfj@xxxxxxxxxx
Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
good firewall and it is free:

<snip - duplicate post but *multiposted* instead of crossposted>

When submitting the SAME post to MULTIPLE newsgroups, cross-post! Do not multipost multiple but *separate* copies of the same message. General rule of courtesy is that the newsgroups must be RELATED and do not include more than 4 newsgroups (if you can actually find that many that are related and NOT a parent of another group).

A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the space for separate copies of the same post. Crossposted messages have just *one* copy on the server and the groups simply have pointers back to that same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk space on the server. Yes, your post is small but remember that you consume N times the space on one server and then do so on all the newsgroups servers worldwide.

Crossposting helps readers in one group see the replies from those in another RELATED newsgroup to which you copied your post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar replies that already exist.

  • Re: About Registry Cleaners
    ... Twayne is too stupid to know how to properly cross-post his same post ... the newsgroups back to the same single copy. ... space on the server. ... Don't go shotgunning your post across multiple groups trying to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: X-no-archive, what is it good for?
    ... Besides, regular expressions would be the major reason why I would move to Agent but as I've been told (in their newsgroups) and read in their documentation it only has them in searches which can be saved but cannot be automatically triggered on header downloads. ... The workaround was to define multiple config files that would be specified on the command-line to load Agent, so you had multiple shortcuts to load multiple instances of Agent to concurrently access multiple accounts. ... Xnews was the only one that had decent support and implementation of regular expressions. ... Unfortunately I found out that many NNTP servers only proffer the overview headers and what I want to filter on are in the extended headers. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Help --- deleted inbox files
    ... When posting the SAME message across MULTIPLE related newsgroups, ... Learn to cross-post: ... space on the server. ... Don't go shotgunning your post across multiple groups trying to capture ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: About Registry Cleaners
    ... Twayne is too stupid to know how to properly cross-post his same post to ... the newsgroups back to the same single copy. ... space on the server. ... Don't go shotgunning your post across multiple groups trying to capture ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Windows Defender / Unwanted Items
    ... When posting the SAME message in multiple groups, ... Multiposting wastes disk space on the server. ... server and then do so on all the newsgroups servers worldwide. ... don't waste their time duplicating similar replies that already exist. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)