Re: Cracking AD passwords on a domain controller

There are two methods of encrypting passwords in AD, one is reversible, which is fairly easy to break and get the password back from AD, the other is hash-based and could probably be found with brute-force cracking, but will take a lot of time at least.

pokhara@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Is it possible to crack the passwords in the Active Directory using
such tools ?

if I have a copy of a DC and the file NTDS.DIT can I crack the
passwords ?

I am trying it on my testlab at home .

Relevant Pages

  • Authenticating encrypted passwords inside seperate XML file.
    ... I learnt about using FormsAuthentication.Authenticate(username, ... encrypting passwords using SHA1. ...
  • Re: hardware vs. john the ripper
    ... and how your cracking process is structured to address those ... (Some of the add-on modules to john can be ... Crack all the simple ones quickly? ... And what passwords are ...
  • Re: Target, home depot card security:(
    ... accounts every day, make our passwords harder and harder to crack, ... It has been proven that cracking passwords takes a certain amount of time, I'm not up on how long these days, but changing passwords regularly throws off their ability to crack it before the next change. ... We just have to be more careful and watch our accounts. ...
  • Re: yet another fake exploit making rounds
    ... > and let them spin there wheels trying to crack the passwords. ...
  • Re: Is WPA-PSK + TKIP really that easily breakable? I dont think so.
    ... Tom's hardware about how to crack it but I am not particularly confident its *that* insecure if you configure other options and use very long complex passwords. ... Of course intend to go 802.1x when available but this is my current ... But with choice of a good pre-shared key and keeping it a secret should be very secure. ...