Re: What is "regproscan"?

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:18:42 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:

From: "Gualtier Malde" <valacapt@xxxxxxxxx>

| I am getting windows from "Messenger Service" telling me to go to www.registrycleaner.com
| and download regproscan.exe. This last time the window is persistent and I can't stop it
| even with Task Manager. I've posted a screenshot of the windows on ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/c/chuckb/download/.
|
| Can anyone help me with this. I'm going to do an ad-aware and spybot scan while waiting
| for an answer.
|
| Thank you.

It is a plain and simple con job in a NetBIOS Pop-Up form !

To disable the Windows Messenger Service, you can open a Command Prompt and type the
following commands...

sc stop Messenger
sc config Messenger start= disabled

A Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 will also block this at the WAN/LAN interface and such
messages won't be seen on a LAN PC.

It also means two things...

You do NOT have WinXP SP2 installed
Your PC has NetBNIOS over IP exposed to the Internet.

If you had installed WinXP SP2 it would have done two things. Disabled the NT Messenger
Service and enabled the WinXP FireWall.

Maybe but not for certain,
--
Admin

* www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
* Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels

  • Re: Error
    ... Windows Xp Home Edition but I never install the SP1 and SP2. ... Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not secure. ...
  • Re: Error
    ... Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not secure. ... administrators to notify Windows users about their networks. ... Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP ...
  • Re: Critical Errors after a pristine install of OS
    ... this program from my system at next install, i'll find other ways to chat ... I just hope that messenger won't be ... You do not have to update before turning on the Windows XP firewall.. ... Messenger Service, it may indicate that your system is not secure. ...
  • Re: Critical Errors after a pristine install of OS
    ... the firewall is on by default. ... about messenger, i'm so spooked right now that i prefer to ... completely delete this program from my system at next install, ... You do not have to update before turning on the Windows XP ...
  • Re: windows mesenger service
    ... computer is up and running again, but I am receiving a windows messenger pop up saying windows found 47 critical errors on your computer log on to regfixup.com. ... ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by ... Messenger Service of Windows ...