Re: Is Firewall essential in this case?

Ok, apparently my initial post has caused some debate here. I posted
here because you know much more than I do, so let me clarify my
question.

Like everyone else, I want to prevent any hackers from attacking my
machine. I want to block those attacks, but at the same time I would
like to prevent anything that should not be on my computer, such as
malware, from sending out my personal information or whatever.

Being on disability, I cannot afford a lot of expensive software. With
that, can someone offer me the basics of what I should have installed
to offer me as much protection, both incoming and outgoing, as
possible? My OS is XP if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dickie

  • Re: progress in operating systems
    ... opinions, claims or facts, versus attacking the individuals involved. ... I'm more than willing to debate the former, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: The Science of Belief
    ... Simon Robinson wrote: ... simply clarify what he meant, instead of attacking me when I queried ... and that when a Christian says something that isn't intended as ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Toyota struggles to stop runaway crisis
    ... support their side in a debate, they will resort to attacking the person ... who has presented valid arguments to support their side of the debate. ... As a troll, he's open to attack. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Why it is no longer worth taking part in comp.dsp
    ... I am saddened that the tone of 'debate' here on comp.dsp is now so ... bullying and personal rudeness in place of reasoned debate. ... Debate over technical questions gets turned into attacking people's ... BORES Signal Processing ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: E petition for Nigel to take part in the 2015 election debate
    ... banned from the debate. ... Anyway since Ukip will probably have some MPs by then, ... We all love watching him attacking Van Rumpoy and the rest, but when he's in our parliament attacking our politicians like that, some people might start to view him with distaste. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)