Re: U.S. Gov't to use Full Disk Encryption on All Computers

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
Rick Merrill <rick0.merrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (07-01-02 12:57:24):

There are tools that compress using a password - think of
runlength encoding with a CRC.
Yes, but "compression using a password" is actually "compressing,
and then encrypting with a password". The CRC is something
completely independent of both steps. It only helps spotting
transmission errors. And encoding has nothing (much) to do with
Originally true, but the particular CRC pattern is chosen to deal with
the expected noise impact during transmission (e.g. 1 sec bursts). You
can use other CRC patterns to encrypt.

I really don't know why you relate CRC to encryption in any way. CRC is
just a checksum algorithm. It's not secure, it's not clever, it's just
a checksum.

CRC != checksum in any way shape or form. Check with your professor.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write
    ... corruption on the wire or in the raid controller ... Nick> checksum was calculated. ... This is why the DIF/DIX spec has the idea of a crc generated in userland ... Closing the while it is dirty, while it is being written back window ...
  • Re: CRC versus CheckSum
    ... I have a situation where I have a byte in which to place either a checksum ... Our packets cannot have bytes in a packet swapped in order (the transport ... jsut as good as the CRC. ... Neither detect all errors (there are after all the same number of states for the sum in either case). ...
  • Re: Opinions on 16-bit checksums.
    ... out there besides CRC and "add up the bytes". ... There are other checksum ... I don't think it can be assumed that ROMs ... ROMs do have the same error characteristics as a serial data ...
  • Re: Opinions on 16-bit checksums.
    ... it's no longer a checksum, ... >> cancel themselves out, but a CRC would. ... I've witnessed no failures or oddities. ... I don't think it can be assumed that ROMs ...
  • Re: Opinions on 16-bit checksums.
    ... >> possibly result in an unchanged CRC checksum. ... > There are two big reasons CRCs are used in serial communications: ... algorithms that consider the order of the data as well as the value - a ...