Re: gmail security

Craig A. Finseth wrote:

In article <1ajqm25ufd5mgskthbo5bq2bivblvr3rmd@xxxxxxx>,
Zilbandy <zil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29 Nov 2006 00:02:20 -0800, phwashington@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My company wants is thinking about using gmail for there mail service.
I remember that a couple of years ago there was an exploit against
gmail, but since then I haven't been aware of any problems.
Is gmail any less secure than most ISP's.
Is there evidence of this, a series of exploits in the last 2 years
that I haven't heard of.

You can get a domain name with hosting with 50 email addresses and
several gigabytes of server space for under $10 month. No legitimate
company should be using a free email service, in these times. Just my
opinion. If your company has over 50 employees, you certainly
shouldn't be considering a free service.

IMHO, there's nothing special about free that should automatically
remove it from any consideration.

You should look at the various issues involved:

- reliability of service
- quality of support
- ability to meet your needs
- ability to carry _your_ brand
- cost

and make the best overall purchasing decision. Certainly, I don't see
how a $10/month service with poor reliability is somehow better than a
free service with high reliability, other things being equal.

Craig

Gmail does demand enabling 3rd party cookies sans privacy policy and active-X before you can even log in...may or may not matter to you...
warf.

  • gmail security
    ... Is gmail any less secure than most ISP's. ... reliability of service ... ability to carry _your_ brand ... free service with high reliability, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Spam
    ... because it was free very recently and only costs peanuts now. ... because there is always one free service that is always up. ... particularly with those who only use usenet occassionally. ... Dont need to use it personally, ALL I need is data about its reliability. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Ask EU: Using your own domain name
    ... Since you own the domain, you can get the registrar to forward mail to a free service such as Gmail, or you can use Zoneedit to do the same thing with much more control. ... Set your mail program to reply as though from your private domain, but via your ISP's SMTP servers, and all your incoming mail will flow into Gmail, which has an excellent spam filter. ... It's a little more complicated to set up POP mail with Gmail, but it's clearly explained on their web site. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: IMAP Inbox indicator and Gmail question
    ... You cannot close the accounts on the other servers or else you would cease receiving their messages in Gmail. ... If you go back to the beginning, Kevin asked if he could ONLY send email with a gmail account or if he could send using his other accounts. ... That paid service is called "Google Apps". ... I told him he could send using his other domain names, which IS possible using the free service. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: USB Spectrum Analysis Sware
    ... I suspect he's thinking of using LTSpice's ability to suck in a .wav file, ... "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)