Re: security question... win xp LAN hole?

Luke skrev:
Hi everybody,
Here is my question:
I have my personal PC in my office, for my privacy i installed safeguard easy 4.20 (www.utimaco.com) encrypting the entire hard disk and with a logon screen that prompt for the user/password before OS boot (win xp pro).
The PC run in a LAN without domain, just a workgroup, windows firewall is enabled (i know it's not a good firewall) all MS fixes and patches are installed over the OS.
So, there is no way to copy the hard disk if i physically mount it over another pc ('cause of the encryption).
One person in my office sustain that he copied all my hard disk without telling me how he did that, so my doubt is that maybe he copied my data by the LAN.
The PC is always on, locked with windows user and password prompt (press ctrl+alt+del to begin), the password is knew just by me, nobody know it, the users are Administrator and another user with administrator right (same password for both), guest user disabled. By a batch file in the startup program group i disable the administrative shares (c$, d$ etc etc), there is just a local folder shared over the lan that prompt for user and password every time i try to open it.
So, how can he did that? he's not an hacker, i'm more expert that him, for now i just think that he's lying to me, but some doubts is still in my mind...
thanx in advance for the replies, sorry for my english but i'm italian ;)

Looks like it could be done over the network.
http://www.infoworld.com/Utimaco_SafeGuard_Easy/product_67496.html?view=1&curNodeId=185&index=0
The article is about an earlier version, so the problems may be fixed...

  • security question... win xp LAN hole?
    ... I have my personal PC in my office, for my privacy i installed safeguard ... easy 4.20 encrypting the entire hard disk and with a logon ... there is no way to copy the hard disk if i physically mount it over ... users are Administrator and another user with administrator right (same ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is complete home security possible?
    ... >> than an administrator level account, I will an error message on FS98, ... I have a clean disk image made from Norton Ghost, ... >> and I regularly ghost my machines once a month. ... Well, I keep important files on a second hard disk in the NAT Box, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: *Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(
    ... The easiest way is, IMO, to take out the hard disk and plug it to another computer to get the files you want. ... Or if you want to do a better job, make an image of the hard disk first before you take it out and plug it to another computer. ... shocked to discover that I no longer have Administrator access, ... my account but I'm unable to! ...
  • Re: Wi-Fi: Essential Checklist
    ... encrypting hard disks. ... You could steal my laptop, ... My primary fast hard disk is unlocked by the same ... WPA does protect your computer from attack over the wireless network. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Hard disk Encryption
    ... If you need to encrypt all the drives, you will have to go with a file ... The problem with encrypting the hard disk is that there are ... > Whether to go for File System Filter Drivers or Encrypting the hard disk ...