Re: Why does every one hate Microsoft

Todd H. wrote:
kurt wismer <kurtw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

optikl wrote:
"Dana" <raff242@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
[snip]
there should be no reason I have to buy a third product solution to secure
the OS I purchase from Microsoft.

Unless, of course, that 3rd party product is orders of magnitude
better than what comes with the OS.
yes, but now that microsoft has managed to cripple their competition
the 3rd party products aren't going to be that much better
anymore...

To use a car analogy, would you rather have the ability to purchase a
fire suppression system that was compatible with the ford Pinto gas
tank, or would rather not have a gas tank so prone to exploding in a
collision?

I'm no fan of Microsoft, but if they can build a more secure OS such
that it happens to keep applications from portions of the OS that no
application should be mucking with as a side effect, more power to
em.

there are a variety of kernel level events and conditions that cannot be trapped without access to the kernel... a wide variety of the more proactive security technologies (of which microsoft have none because they're a newbie in this field) depend on being able to trap those things...

if you think sacrificing behaviour based security technologies in order to kill off kernel mode 'rootkits' and precious little else is a fair trade off then i've got this bridge i've been trying to sell...

--
"it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over

  • Re: Why does every one hate Microsoft
    ... the OS I purchase from Microsoft. ... Unless, of course, that 3rd party product is orders of magnitude ... or would rather not have a gas tank so prone to exploding in a ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Why does every one hate Microsoft
    ... the OS I purchase from Microsoft. ... Unless, of course, that 3rd party product is orders of magnitude better than what comes with the OS. ... but now that microsoft has managed to cripple their competition the 3rd party products aren't going to be that much better anymore... ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Medical Dictionary for Officexp n Office2003
    ... James ... a 3rd party product that will work with ... > I was just wondering it would be very good, if microsoft can come up with a ... > MS Office System Products MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Crash Reporting
    ... Microsoft takes all the reports and works on solutions for the problems that ... Sometimes the fix is to a seemingly unrelated 3rd party product you have ... So the reports are very worthwhile and potentially will solve a current ... Jupiter Jones ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: X11 performance / NVIDIA driver
    ... > due to the fact that Microsoft runs the graphics drivers in kernel space ... > of a driver problem being able to crash the whole kernel rather than just ... the context switch of crossing the threshold between user processes ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)