Re: Does SSL "secure" WEP?

Joe <spam@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi there,

I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
support WPA. My question is:
If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
SSL-Website?

You would be protected provided they don't Man in the middle your SSL
session (which is easier than anyone wants to believe).

Some things to know though:
WEP can be cracked in minutes.
New access points are cheap.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Does SSL "secure" WEP?
    ... I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't ... support WPA. ... If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, ... Just to add to the fire - MINM SSL attacks are no safer over a wired ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Does SSL "secure" WEP?
    ... I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't support WEP. ... If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typedinto the SSL-Website? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Nacht am Flughafen FRA
    ... Deinen Router einklinkt und genau dann geht es ja über Deine IP! ... Internet einsteigen, sondern Idioten haben es in der Regel auf anderes ... Meine Freundin zum Beispiel liess Ihr WLAN ...
    (de.rec.reisen.misc)
  • Re: ALERT: WPA can be less secure than WEP
    ... They attach a label to the bottom of the router with the router ... password, unique SSID, and WEP encryption key. ... if the cost of an additional label will cause the wireless ... >misleading - the suggestion that you can get instant secure links ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)