Re: Bios Passwords

In Message-ID:<4o5htdFd4ob8U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Tom" <tquinn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have somehow managed to set up 2 passwords in the bios that I have to
enter before the laptop will turn on. One is a drivelock password and I
haven't a clue what the other one is.
I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every
time I turn the laptop on.

I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now.

Very often, systems have two different power-on passwords.
One lets you use the system but not update the BIOS. The other is
the administrator password which gives you access to everything.

At a guess, you set both. Except by some reasonably serious
hacking you won't get back to the BIOS setup without that admin
password. (Depending on the machine, "reasonably serious" could
mean as little as removing the button battery for 15 minutes.
However, that could also clear some other info that you'd really
not like cleared.)

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

  • Re: Bios Passwords
    ... enter before the laptop will turn on. ... One is a drivelock password and I ... haven't a clue what the other one is. ... I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Bios Passwords
    ... enter before the laptop will turn on. ... One is a drivelock password and I ... I wish I hadn't done it as its driving me mad having to enter these in every ... I cannot find, in the bios, where to disable these now. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Bios Passwords
    ... enter before the laptop will turn on. ... One is a drivelock password and I ... haven't a clue what the other one is. ... Sorry its a HP pavilion zv6115ea ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Bios Passwords
    ... enter before the laptop will turn on. ... One is a drivelock password and I ... haven't a clue what the other one is. ... I'm going to check my crystal ball to discover what ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Bios Passwords
    ... enter before the laptop will turn on. ... One is a drivelock password and I ... haven't a clue what the other one is. ... 1st is the power on password 2nd is the drive lock ...
    (alt.computer.security)