Re: help

touseef wrote:
in our university govt pdovide internet and take mac addresses and
activate internet on those mac addreses but some one stole my a mac
address and using internet on my pays how i can stop him plz tell any
software which can not show my mac address on any comp thanks

As Todd mentioned there is little you can do to stop them from cloning
your MAC address. But you should let your University know IMMEDIATELY
that this is happening. No telling what bad things they are doing and
it looks like YOU are doing them! Ask your IT people if they can
restrict access of your MAC address to a specific switch port (eg; your
dorm room). Of course if you roam the campus with a laptop that won't
work well. As Todd mentioned limiting access by just a MAC address is
very poor security. You don't mention if this is wired or wireless. If
its a wireless connection I would switch Universities, that would
really be a dumb access control method for wireless.

John @ http://NIST.org
Announcing a new Small Screen IT Security
News Service at 'nist.org/small' For small
screens only (eg; Blackberry & Smartphones)

  • Re: Theoretical Discussion: Hotel WiFi Hack
    ... discussion to start with you wireless experts. ... They don't offer wired internet because it's an old ... passed his MAC address around via some GET variables in the URL. ... Surely the router or gateway would go ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Theoretical Discussion: Hotel WiFi Hack
    ... discussion to start with you wireless experts. ... They don't offer wired internet because it's an old ... passed his MAC address around via some GET variables in the URL. ... Surely the router or gateway would go ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Theoretical Discussion: Hotel WiFi Hack
    ... changing my MAC address. ... discussion to start with you wireless experts. ... They don't offer wired internet because it's an old ... Surely the router or gateway would go ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: eMac, 9.2 and WiFi ?
    ... as it was being a 'Mac' (I stopped telling Sales he had a Mac because ... We went for 'Wireless' because it might be ... Internet, or am I just going to have the same issues we saw today ... osx systems and didn't have too much of a problem with it (apart from ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Sending big files to a friend.
    ... which makes sense in terms of the controls that my router supplies. ... connect to my Mac in that fashion from the Internet via my ADSL ... A game or application is made up of one or more TCP/UDP port ranges. ... Because the internet IP that your prvider assigns to you is dynamic. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)