Re: Securing a USB stick

On 2 Sep 2006 11:30:36 -0700, "Jon" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stephen Poley wrote:
I have been hunting for a good solution for a while. But everything I've
looked at so far suffers from at least one of the following problems:

1) the encryption program has to be already installed on every computer
where one will use the USB stick (or at least one has to have admin
privileges on every computer); one can't run it directly from the USB
stick;

2) the program does not state which encryption algorithm is used (which
typically means it's a useless home-brew job) or its security is
otherwise in question;

3) when encrypting a directory tree, all the files are thrown into a
single directory, making the extraction of a single file a pain.

Can anyone recommend a product which doesn't suffer from these problems?

Check AxCrypt

http://axcrypt.axantum.com/

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

--
Stephen Poley

  • Re: Securing a USB stick
    ... looked at so far suffers from at least one of the following problems: ... the encryption program has to be already installed on every computer ... single directory, making the extraction of a single file a pain. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Securing a USB stick
    ... Stephen Poley wrote: ... looked at so far suffers from at least one of the following problems: ... the encryption program has to be already installed on every computer ... single directory, making the extraction of a single file a pain. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Securing a USB stick
    ... looked at so far suffers from at least one of the following problems: ... the encryption program has to be already installed on every computer ... single directory, making the extraction of a single file a pain. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Im still amused.
    ... plaintext and ciphertext, so a port to a new system could be checked ... The stated range of characters for my use and interest is plain txt., ... not specify a different key for an encryption program is dangerous, ... I don't consider a Base64 encoder as an encryption program. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Is encrypting twice much more secure?
    ... Not the encryption technique. ... It is Scott's own encryption program that he has been floggin here for ... Its so twisted even a famous Phd crypto ... At one time Unicity distance was ...
    (sci.crypt)