Re: ZoneAlarm not blocking AVG auto update

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:03:10 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though
the icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the
firewall itself is running and working immediately to block any
Internet traffic to or from your computer.

Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm
Free 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and
download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.

I don't see what you mean. I'm using ZA 6.1.744.001 and AVG doesn't
update without ZA asking for permission. I deleted the AVG Update
download entry from ZA's program list, and it ask for permission on
the next update. It seems to be working as I expect it to for me. :/
--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <zil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/

  • XP started slow and wouldnt access the net.
    ... with my browsers, Firefox 3 and IE6, nor can I update my AVG or Spybot ... Nor will ZoneAlam and the real-time virus detection of AVG start up. ... Does it have anything to do with ZoneAlarm not running? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm not blocking AVG auto update
    ... I'm running ZoneAlarm Free 6.1.737. ... AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts. ... I think I'd rather have my AV software load first so it can take a look at anything else that loads. ... Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an always-on Internet connection. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: OT - Firewalls
    ... Last nights automatic Windows update has caused a conflict with Zone Alarm. ... You already have a firewall in XP and also in AVG and also protection through your router. ... This issue is mainly affecting the internet security software ZoneAlarm, however some users have advised Norton and AVG may also be affected. ... You can temporarily gain connectivity by going to the main ZoneAlarm firewall tab and changing Internet Zone Security to Medium. ...
    (uk.business.agriculture)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm not blocking AVG auto update
    ... download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts. ... update without ZA asking for permission. ... I deleted the AVG Update ... Sure it asks for permission -- if ZoneAlarm is running. ...
    (alt.computer.security)