Re: windows 2000 server being hacked.

junkmail wrote:

but closing ports via a router, cant happen. firewalls close ports. not
routers.

Firewalls don't close ports either. They restrict port access. Ports are
closed by deactivating the service or the client. Better re-read RFC 793.

that are not being used - which is one way
that hackers get access to your computer.
Even more bullshit.

And why should someone use a router for such a job?

a router does not stop or even slow down hackers.

a fire wall will slow them down. but not stop a determined hacker.

Hm... a serious firewall will reliably deny outside access to an inside
service. If that's the only way of compromise, you really made it there.

Anyway, denying access to accidentially misconfigured services can also
be done a simple packet filter on the host itself. No need for putting
any additional device there.

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Filter routers? (was Re:logs)
    ... > firewalls from inside. ... Inside and outside screening routers have been part of a dual screened ... when spinning up a critical new router path. ... > Normally I wouldn't include TCP ports in the filter router ACL (that's ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: windows 2000 server being hacked.
    ... you can use a router to port forward. ... like outsite port ... but closing ports via a router, ... a router does not stop or even slow down hackers. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Router recommendation needed
    ... Just above this is a device with 4 or 8 ports so you can give wired access ... And above that are true firewalls that offer the ability to keep (mostly, ... Just because a router has a firewall ... updates to active livesecurity memberships bugs me. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Firewall dont work if your computer is already hacked
    ... I'll say what's been said in alt.comp.virus about tracker. ... >> many reviews about whole bunch of firewalls on the internet, ... If you have the router + ZA then ZA will not use hardly any ... > leaves open, a router will not keep your computer secure from hackers, I ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Ichat AV
    ... I have found it is caused by my firewall in the router. ... the ports to accept traffic hasn't fixed it... ... tab, and my wireless router's firewall is .. ... Do either of you have software firewalls? ...
    (microsoft.public.macintosh.general)