news:jcKjg.26192$X02.23549@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John Gregory" <jaygreg90@xxxxxxxxxxx>

| David, that's the most detailed,thorough report I've gotten in all the
| forums. I appreciate this. I was just getting set to run that
HijackThis log
| and post it in one of those guru forums like TomCoyote. Would that be
| preferred than doing all this here? Your information certainly won't go
| waste. I now have an idea of what to expect. And I learned earlier
today
| from someone else that Java was a possible open door through which I
was
| hit. My version is 2re1.4.2. Should I remove all Java files through
Control
| Panel/Add or Remove first then download and install? Or go to the Java
site
| and let the automatic download occur then remove the old?

Your version of Sun Java is certainly a vulnerable version. No doubt
about that. There is
a very good chance that is how you got infected.

Go to the control panel applet "Add/Remove Programs" and remove any/all
Sun Java versuions
then download and install version 5 update 7 which is the latest version.

As for HJT. It details Browser Helper Objects (BHOs) and it makes
identifiyting them easy
and the Vundo Trojan/Virtumonde Adware use BHOs.

Now there is always tyhe chance you have a new version that the utilities
I posted are not
aware of. This family of malware morphs reguarly.

Go through the steps I provided, if they don't work then well go from
there :-)

After you run; VirtumundoBeGone.exe you could post the VBG LOG file

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: Java Control Panel Folder Empty - Cannot Uninstall Java 6 Upda
    ... Tried reinstalling Java but I received the same messages that I ... ghost files I mentioned and Java 6 update 13. ... again and during the install I am getting the same message I get when I try ... Download the one for 'offline installation', ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Blaze Find Tool Bar
    ... Kathleen - Here's some help about installing/reinstalling a Java VM: ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... >> programs report as spyware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: IE ENCOUNTERED PROBLEM ERROR ***(O_O)***
    ... You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the following sites: ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers. ...
  • Re: Microsoft VM
    ... besieiged by the stupid "Gold Shield" to download the 816093, ... Now if we could just track down 'what' is leaving an MSJVM fileon ... Sun Java works and works great. ... Uninstall it ASAP from Add/Remove Programs and then install the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Microsoft VM
    ... download and install new version. ... Sun Java works and works great. ... Uninstall it ASAP from Add/Remove Programs and then install the ... SP4 without the Microsoft VM installed, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)