Free diagnostic tool checks security settings of PCs and home
networks.

Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
Thursday, June 08, 2006

AOL plans to release today a free application that checks the security
software and settings of PCs and home networks and lets users know
about vulnerabilities it detects.

Called Active Security Monitor, the diagnostic tool is available as a
free download. Users don't need to be AOL subscribers to download the
application.

If the tool is installed on a PC that belongs to a home network, the
tool can also check the network's security configuration and report
its findings to the user.

If all PCs on a home network are outfitted with Active Security
Monitor, the application is also able to provide a comprehensive
snapshot of the general security status of every PC and the network in
a single dashboard-type interface.

Independent Assessment

"This application is designed to give users a good, independent
assessment of their overall security situation," said John McKinley,
president of AOL Digital Services.

The tool is designed to help users keep their security applications
updated and their system's security settings properly configured, he
said.

This is increasingly complicated, because users have to keep track of
a growing variety of security applications, including antivirus
software, security patches, spyware catchers, and firewalls. "You're
only as strong as your weakest link," he said.

By default, the application does a security survey once every day, but
users can modify this to run more often, he said. AOL had been beta
testing Active Security Monitor since mid-May.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,126026,tk,nl_dnxnws,00.asp

==
"You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something in
your life."
-- Winston Churchill
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

  • RE: [fw-wiz] Annoying pop-ups
    ... Are you guys saying that the messenger service is ... > some core network functionality being turned on by default than you guys ... pertains to their stance on security. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: The Ubuntu Experiment
    ... If by idiot users you mean the average person who is unaware of security ... concerns with running anything Microsoft, ... To ensure that the average users on my home network don't get their ... rack mounted servers in a data center doing less work. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: suggestions on a good firewall
    ... > much as I can on being a good MCSE ... For a home network, you can't go wrong with one of those little DSL/Cable router/firewalls. ... And with a slightly higher grade of hardware firewall, you can start configuring specific services, etc, through the firewall. ... Thinking About Security Training? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: security
    ... With all the "phishing" scams and fake security bulletins running around, ... > I have several computers on a home network that I never have a need to ... > from downloading and installing junk from the internet. ... >> computer with internet capability? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Questions...Network Security and Wireless
    ... I am looking to know whether the security of my home network I have is ... I am not able to try a pen test on it. ... I am using a cable modem connected to a DLINK DI-624 wireless router. ... My wireless security is set to WPA2 TKIP. ...
    (Security-Basics)