Re: Wi-fi question

"Stamitz" <anti@xxxxxxxx> writes:
I frequently visit a camping site. That (commercial) camping site does offer
a paid wi-fi connection. I do have to pay an amount of money, I get a
username and a password and so I can enter the internet for 15 minutes. Now,
I have seen with Network Stumbler that the Wi-fi connection is not secured
with WEP, WPA etc. If I use my laptop and to to the internet, I
automatically see the login page of the camping site (I suppose this is a
setting in the firewall of the camping site ?).

Is it possible to "crack" this, so I can go to the internet without paying ?
Is there some documentation ?

Access control is being controlled at the router via DNS, etc. That
issue is completely unrelated to WEP and WPA which secure the actual
wireless connection to the access point. Paid access points by their
nature don't want to make it hard for you to connect to them, but they
do want to make sure you can't get out to the internet unless you
pay. So they block things from the routing perspective.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: Wi-fi question
    ... offer a paid wi-fi connection. ... I do have to pay an amount of money, ... to the internet, I automatically see the login page of the camping site ... No. Quit trying to be an amateur thief and pay the people what they're ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Wi-fi question
    ... a paid wi-fi connection. ... I have seen with Network Stumbler that the Wi-fi connection is not secured ... If I use my laptop and to to the internet, ... The camp site have paid a lot of money to provide a service for its customers and all you want to do is abuse it. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Wi-fi question
    ... I have seen with Network Stumbler that the Wi-fi connection is not ... If I use my laptop and to to the internet, ... setting in the firewall of the camping site ?). ... No. Quit trying to be an amateur thief and pay the people what they're ...