Re: want a simple firewall

From: "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

|>> Got that but it doesn't stop the script kiddies from trying to find the
|>> password for the "administrator" on the FTP server (they won't take the
|>> hint that there IS NO 'admin."!

Sounds like you need a FireWall appliance that examines all FTP packets and will block or
reject activity based upon a set of rules.

| Isn't "giving the password" a simple enough rule?-)

That's what the FTP Daemon does -- authenticate.

You want something to block the non-wanted people trying to exploit vulnerabilities and
search for flaws.

Otherwise just get a *better* FTP Daemon.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: allowing root to ftp to localhost
    ... >> How do I allow root to ftp to localhost but not allow it to ftp in ... > will allow root logins. ... I am using the ftp daemon that comes with debian. ... I am just checking a feature given in one of the emacs tutorials about ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Bad FTP session closing...
    ... i'm using the SGI ftp daemon. ... It seems that the server kept the connection alive... ... multiple requests to the same port (you can have multiple ftp users ... SGI's FTP daemon makes no attempt to control multiple accesses ...
    (comp.sys.sgi.admin)
  • Re: Bad FTP session closing...
    ... i'm using the SGI ftp daemon. ... It seems that the server kept the connection alive... ... multiple requests to the same port (you can have multiple ftp users ... SGI's FTP daemon makes no attempt to control multiple accesses ...
    (comp.sys.sgi.admin)
  • Re: allowing root to ftp to localhost
    ... > How do I allow root to ftp to localhost but not allow it to ftp in ... Which FTP daemon are you using? ... running with two separate configs. ... will allow root logins. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: IPFW almost works now.
    ... Yes, I am the one running the FTP Daemon, and I want to access it from my ... > need to allow connections to all inbound ports above 1024. ... > Can't build data connection: ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)