Re: How many characters to make Winzip AES 256 unbreakable?

In Message-ID:<Xns97C2C5EBF7A9764A18E@xxxxxxxxx>,
Zak <duff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I use a password made up of ordinary characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9) with
no specials then how many characters do I need to use to make AES 256
uncrackable by a brute force attack?

Well, to make your password not the weak point, you need 43
totally random characters.

Here's how that's figured:

AES256 uses a 256-bit key. There are, therefore, 2**256 possible
keys.

26+26+10=62

62**43 is approximately 2**256

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

  • Re: Encrypting the same byte sequence
    ... >is an implementation written in C of the AES algorithm (I found it on ... >that encrypted are transformed in a sequence of some others characters ... it sounds like your program is encrypting ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • "recovering" passwords
    ... I had tried out the Winrar AES password cracker. ... I dont think it broke AES, just using brute force attack it went thru all ... characters(0-9, a-z, A-Z) to get at the single letter I used as the PW: ... The length limit of the password to crack was 10 characters, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Protected WLAN
    ... Be sure that you create a passphrase that is 64 characters. ... and is made of a random string of printable characters. ... Checking AES... ... A passphrase of 63 mixed case letters and special symbols and a notebook and a pencil worked fine. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Is key hashing needed on AES?
    ... The password is made to be 32 characters, ... giving 192 bits for 192 AES. ... Whether there's a practical attack to be had ... only if we can prove those protocols secure assuming AES is secure. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Anyone know how to make an unscrollable TEXTAREA?
    ... AES wrote: ... field simply won't accept any more characters (or keystrokes) beyond some number, whether or not the field is visibly full. ... jmm list sohnen-moe com. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)