Suspicious Icons on Desktop

A neighbor just called me concerning two Icons on the desktop of her
computer. It is a Dell Dimension 8400 with windows XP Pro (SP2 and with the
latest MS Security Updates). She also has Symantec Norton Internet
Security, NAV 2006, and Adaware SE Plus installed.

The two icons appeared yesterday on her computer and unfortunately she
clicked on the first one and her computer registry was supposedly scanned
and found some errors in her computer and recommended something to the
effect of purchasing a registry program. I had her accomplish a properties
on the first Icon named "Registry Cleaner" and read me the entry for the
Target, and it was as follows:
http:\\ad.double-click.net\clk;26983459;5531471. The second Icon named
Registry Cleaner, had for properties, Target: C:/Program Files/Registry
Cleaner Trial/Regclean.exe. I also had her run Adaware and it found 18
tracking cookies and she put them in quarantine. Her NAV 2006 and Adaware
definitions were up todate.

At this point, I am reluctant to recommend the deletion of the Icons on the
desktop and the removal of the Registry Cleaner Trial folder in windows
explorer since I don't know what she has on her computer. I also ran a
Google search but did not find any applicable information. Any suggestions
would be very much appreciated, Sam.

  • Re: Registry Corruption
    ... What version of Adaware? ... >I am a Windows XP Professional user. ... > the sequence had finished, all the desk top icons apart from Outlook,> Unused ... Administrative tools opens but the icons are also Windows> default ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: DOESNT WORK
    ... I try to click on some icons, but they don't come up, and they like ... The computer manufacturer has a responsibility to you to help with Windows ... I'd never tell someone to use a registry cleaner. ... You can also try replacing damaged or deleted Windows files by going to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Startup causes explorer to fail
    ... Just because you do not see their icons in the Notification Area does not mean they are not running....if explorer crashes and restarts, the icons will disappear but the programs may still be running. ... Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Task Manager, and see if the Zone Alarm processes are running, as well as whatever else is normally in your startup axis. ... There is no reason or use for a Registry cleaner in XP, except perhaps to help you break things. ...
  • [kde] Re: How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?
    ... I can't see the point of having any icons on the desktop. ... The bottom monitor is my "work" monitor, where I often run dual half- ... maxed windows all accessible, clicking in say akregator to open a browser ... in the screenshot, the only plasmoid on it is the comic strip plasmoid, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Fixing up the windows registry
    ... How to perform of Windows XP ... many of the icons were missing. ... And whatever is missing from XP that is keeping ... It won't let me install anything. ...