Re: ZeroSpyware Enterprise Evaluation

Moe Trin wrote:
On 22 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<1143084257.030436.63390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
zerospyware_enterprise@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I apologize for breaking the rules regarding posting. I am fairly new
to newsgroups, and unfamiliar with established practices.

You certainly managed to do some rather stupid things to convince people
to avoid your company. Here's the first free clue:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0000.txt
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc0000.html
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc0000.txt
http://www.ccd.bnl.gov/network/general/rfc0000.html
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc0000.html

Don't use those URLs yet - they are templates. From the first one, grab
the index file (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc-index.txt) but be aware it's
large. Then grab RFC1855 by replacing the four zeros in the URLs above
with 1855 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt).

1855 Netiquette Guidelines. S. Hambridge. October 1995. (Format:
TXT=46185 bytes) (Also FYI0028) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

Next, learn to NOT post using google groups, as the poor user interface
makes you look like a 12 year old fool.

Next, don't use "throw-away" mail accounts. You claim to be posting for
some slipshod company - POST USING THEIR DOMAIN.

People claim that RFC1855 is out-dated. None the less, had you followed the
recommendations in it, you'd discover these things called newsgroup charters
and that your advertisement isn't acceptable.

3098 How to Advertise Responsibly Using E-Mail and Newsgroups or - how
NOT to $$$$$ MAKE ENEMIES FAST! $$$$$. T. Gavin, D. Eastlake 3rd, S.
Hambridge. April 2001. (Format: TXT=64687 bytes) (Also FYI0038)

Yes, you correctly identified your posting as spam. So here's another RFC

2635 DON'T SPEW A Set of Guidelines for Mass Unsolicited Mailings and
Postings (spam*). S. Hambridge, A. Lunde. June 1999. (Format:
TXT=44669 bytes) (Also FYI0035) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

I posted this announcement only in newsgroups that I thought would touch
on security issues, because I thought it could be of interest to people
who would frequent these groups.

That comes from your inexperience. Advertisements are not welcomed in
technical discussion groups, and are usually specifically banned by the
group charter. They often have a negative effect - making it know that
yours is a company and/or product to avoid. Here's another clue:

[compton ~]$ grep -c announce ../big.8.list.03.15.06
76
[compton ~]$ grep announce ../big.8.list.03.15.06 | grep -c Moderated
68
[compton ~]$ grep announce ../big.8.list.03.15.06 | grep -c '^comp'
47
[compton ~]$

On the 15th of every month, there is an article posted to the newsgroups
news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc titled "List of
Big Eight Newsgroups". Among other things, it lists the title and a brief
description of those groups. There are 76 groups for announcements, 68 of
which are moderated (free posting, but controlled) and 47 of those are in
the 'comp.' hierarchy. I happen to subscribe to five of them and look there
for product announcements.

Over half of the company is based in Manila - hence the Philippine IP
addrress. It is where I am working from.

Your first post was from 203.177.124.109 - a "Corporate DSL" address with
Globe Telecom... that doesn't resolve. This post is from 58.69.220.6 -
another "Corporate DSL" in this case from the Philippine Long Distance
Telco (pldt.com.ph), and this one resolves to... 58.69.220.6.pldt.net
which really looks professional, doncha think?

The company is registered in Las Vegas, and has a small presence in San
Francisco. I don't know who our provider is, and how that is indicative
of the quality of our products.

Rightly or wrongly, you are judged by the company you keep - which means
the companies you do business with, and how they appear. Finding out who
your provider is takes ten seconds for a DNS lookup and a whois query of
the result. Likewise, the domain lookup. As for the rest, spend a few
minutes searching the news.admin.net-abuse.* newsgroups.

We are a growing company and have allocated much of our resources on
product development and customer support.

Spend a little of that money on appearances. See that you post from
an IP address that _doesn't_ look like zombied cable boxes. Post using
a real address - to groups where the posts are welcomed. Both IP addresses
you posted from (which in itself looks bad) seem to be business grade
services if APNIC is to be believed, but neither bothers to give that
impression with hostnames. Indeed, the Globe Telecom looks even worse,
because the idiots don't know how to set up DNS.

I do not have the budget to buy ads or fly around the world to shake
hands. This was simply an attempt to inform of a new product release to
the people who might actually have an interest in it. I do appreciate
the irony of my actions, but it was one of the few areas I could think
to go with my constrained budget.

Your post probably got you more negative attention - spamming does that,
as does posting advertisements to groups whose charters prohibit them.
Certainly there is little reason to consider your company has clue,
whether or not the product is worth anything or does anything useful.

Old guy

Man, just lighten up people. Can't you see that an apology was given? I swear this thread sucks for the fact that some little person just has to have the final downswing in taking a sledgehammer to an ant. Move on!

By the way, I did download an evaluation of the ZeroSpyware v3.4 today and have been hitting it pretty hard on my testing platform. It gets 5 stars. If you guys were on the Mind of Mancia show, Carlos would give you a big Dee-Dee-Dee.

sean
.