Re: Wierd Norton downloads

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:55:43 +0000, john2 <john2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Starting on 22 Feb out of the blue my downlink bandwidth was getting a
tad massive and checking with Netmeter I found I was getting an
undesired 2.5 MByte download at exactly 5.0 minute intervals. This was
associated with a system process called LUCOMS~1.exe that takes up 75%
of the cpu when this happens. This was adding up to nearly a GByte per day.

Also a window pops up from Norton saying '1140566294jtun_ennisale.2...
(can't read the rest as it's truncated) is waiting for a virus scan,
then it disappears (no virus found).

Searching round it seems that Norton Internet security Live Updater is
doing it since a personal process, also called LUCOMS~1.exe, runs if the
updater is run manually. Having found this I switched off Live Updater
and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. The Norton I.S. is
2004 version and no longer supported, apart from updates.

Anyone else seen this happen. Can Live Updater be switched into a bad
mode by a remote command or bad update ?

john2
####################################
Apparently, you have discovered yet another problem that Norton
creates for computer users. Add that to the long list that already
exists and eventually you will decide, as I have, to uninstall all
symantec products and have a more peacefull life.

  • Re: NIS blocked ALL web pages after LiveUpdate
    ... >SubSevens. ... >So I next went in and eliminated the pre-selected ports for the NetBus ... All Norton programs use the same Update service so it matters not you ... down to their AV program and the Live Updater installed on my system ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Wierd Norton downloads
    ... doing it since a personal process, also called LUCOMS~1.exe, runs if the updater is run manually. ... Having found this I switched off Live Updater and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. ... The Norton I.S. is 2004 version and no longer supported, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: NIS blocked ALL web pages after LiveUpdate
    ... >> All Norton programs use the same Update service so it matters not you ... >> down to their AV program and the Live Updater installed on my system ... I managed to get rid of all the necessary files ... I actually had NIS 2003 on a Win XP Home system hijacked by some ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Wierd Norton downloads
    ... This was associated with a system process called LUCOMS~1.exe that takes up 75% of the cpu when this happens. ... Also a window pops up from Norton saying '1140566294jtun_ennisale.2... ... is waiting for a virus scan, then it disappears. ... Having found this I switched off Live Updater and the automatic downloads stopped immediately. ...
    (alt.computer.security)