Re: FTP client with file encryption for remote backup?

Why would his ISP want to allow him to do this?

Encrypted files on their server -- over which they have no access?

"Todd H." <comphelp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

~David~ <shadoweyez@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Tom wrote:

I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal
from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the
server cannot be used by the ISP.

The best that I've come across is FileZilla, found at It's free and open-source, and can do
and sftp, which is ran over an ssh server. FTP is not encrypted, so the
way for security in most cases is to make sure your ISP has an ssh server
set up
so you can use sftp (usually you log in with your normal user/pass).
will let you set up a profile for this, making it a pretty good
tool, IMHO.

Actually, the original question is more interesting than the
relatively simple question of encrypted transport.

What Tom wants is something that will automagiclaly encrypt the files
on the fly, and leave them in encrypted form on the target server.
The concern is not so much one of securing them from being sniffed in
transit in the clear, but rather to prevent admins of the target
server from being able to do anything useful with his data that he
stores there.

Best Regards,
Todd H.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A cryptography solution for a client/server winforms app
    ... good idea if you want to learn crypto. ... you control both the client and server, you don't even need to use a ... code the client to ignore certificate trust errors. ... encrypt the memory stream. ...
  • RE: Port 21 blocked by ISP
    ... >> ftp server to use port 7721. ... >presumably your ISP has blocked port 21 because they ...
  • Re: A cryptography solution for a client/server winforms app
    ... You could use a self-signed cert deployed with the server ... code the client to ignore certificate trust errors. ... generate a hash value for the data in the memory stream. ... encrypt the memory stream. ...
  • Re: Encrypted files do they work for backups?
    ... I'm going to test it out myself on my own test SBS Server. ... >>If I use the administrator account, and I encrypt it EFS on a External ... >>> format you need the private key to decrypt the files ... do you have the recovery agent Encrypting File ...
  • Re: Cannot decrypt about 5% of encrypted files
    ... But when I try to decrypt them, ... It doesn't matter how I log into the server; ... copied to a cluster server that had a file share resource. ... When you encrypt on a server, ...