Re: FTP client with file encryption for remote backup?

~David~ <shadoweyez@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Tom wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal files
from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the remote
server cannot be used by the ISP.

Thanks,
Tom

The best that I've come across is FileZilla, found at
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/. It's free and open-source, and can do ftp,
and sftp, which is ran over an ssh server. FTP is not encrypted, so the easiest
way for security in most cases is to make sure your ISP has an ssh server set up
so you can use sftp (usually you log in with your normal user/pass). FileZilla
will let you set up a profile for this, making it a pretty good
tool, IMHO.

Actually, the original question is more interesting than the
relatively simple question of encrypted transport.

What Tom wants is something that will automagiclaly encrypt the files
on the fly, and leave them in encrypted form on the target server.
The concern is not so much one of securing them from being sniffed in
transit in the clear, but rather to prevent admins of the target
server from being able to do anything useful with his data that he
stores there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • RE: FTP and ISA setup
    ... Please follow the instruction described on the following KB to enable external clients to access your FTP server. ... Local port: Fixed port ... Change the EnablePortAttack value to 1. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is this a 3-Leg Perimeter scenario?
    ... Do you mean the FTP server is hosted on the ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... The detailed network diagram. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Microsoft FTP Server problem on W2K?
    ... client (rather than another server, as in proxy transfer), the IP address ... port) currently in use on the control connection. ... >the remote FTP server was, at least at a TCP level, prepared to accept the ...
  • Re: How to develop FTP Server On PPC?
    ... FTP server due to licensing restrictions. ... the server portions (there's no FTP client to my knowledge on CE), ... 2003 Microsoft Corporation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Security Problem...
    ... This has happened before on other installations of ... I checked the IIS web server and FTP server logs and the only IP address is ... As far as my Firewall logs, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)