Re: Symantec vs. McAfee

braveheart wrote:

"D. Spencer Hines" <poguemidden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?

Thank you.

Symantec might give you the better protection,

And your qualifications for making that determination would be....??

None. That's what I thought.

You "read it somewhere", and just like every other bit of advice you try
to give you look like a fool because you really don't know what the hell
you're talking about.

If you go back over the long history of both products, McAfee has the
better track record. By far. Norton/Symantec has had some really poor
detection rates, and some of the most astounding holes and problems we've
seen in the AV world. And it hasn't been all that long ago either. Last
year someone found another "shut it off with three lines of code"
vulnerability where a virus or worm could just unloaded it from memory and
did it's thing. A complete joke.

but it's a pain to get out
when you want to uninstall, if you use any of it don't install the go back
product some of the symantic suites offer.

It's no harder or easier than any other AV software. They either uninstall
completely and cleanly, or they don't. And almost NONE of them do. Doesn't
matter what you run and try to uninstall, if you want it completely gone
you're looking at third party utilities and/or hand editing registry
entries, config files, and your directory structure.

By the way, I see you've nym hopped again. Is the heat too much for you in
the kitchen kiddo? :)

Relevant Pages

  • windows update 0x800c0005 solved by removing NIS
    ... I finally solved this annoying windows update error message. ... I tried to uninstall but couldnt - control panel wouldn't, ... Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support. ... Finish by cleaning up the Registry: ...
  • Re: Norton firewall and antivirus plus stupid xp
    ... Not an uncommon occurrence with the Norton products you describe. ... they tend to leave both software and Registry keys ... I've posted a pseudo process for getting Symantec off, ... First - uninstall Nis, then Nav, LiveReg, Live Update. ...
  • Re: re-install norton?
    ... As for LU, if you happen to uninstall it, best is to uninstall the AV ... > and then it gets reinstalled when you reinstall NAV. ... > Norton, & Symantec, and deleting every key that contains either of these ... >>Bill Lurie ...
  • Re: Uninstalling Norton System Works
    ... > You do know, don't you, that if you put the CD in, it has an uninstall program that cleans out all entries of System Works. ... >>Symantec to supply it. ... >>Uninstall document not being available on the server. ... William B. Lurie ...
  • Re: Uninstalling NIS 2006....
    ... The only thing i can think of doing that I cant seem to get rid ... My 60 day trial of NIS 2006 through MS is finished, trying to uninstall ... I've used the Symantec program uninstaller, off their website, ran it ... its telling me that Norton Worm Protection ...