Re: Broadband Packet Loss

"vernon" <here@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Most people own their modem.

Contrarian datapoint #1: I don't, and there's no additional charge on
my Comcast bill for it.

> The best today (note today) is the Motorola 5100 series.

Contrarian datapoint #2: A 1 year old Motorola SB5120 is what was
giving me so many problems over the past 3 months.  Comcast finally
replaced it with a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 and all packetloss
problems went away.  I don't dispute that perhaps a new SB5120
would've netted the same results.  But do a search on SB5120 packet
loss.  The number of hits I found when researching my own (now
resolved) problem was pretty staggering.

> An older Modem (older model) will often cause problems.
> Renting a modem means that you get the one that they got the best "deal" on.
> It may or may not be the best.

True.

And to the OP, if you own your modem, and it's the thing giving you
trouble, brace for being charged for the service call that fingers
your equipment as the problem.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: (Andy Hewitt) Re: BT HomeHub + BBC iPlayer disconnects
    ... and engineer, and guess what, the modem was knackered. ... one that they don't support - well, the supervisor I was speaking to ... The algorithm they use is `If our man can't find a fault in our kit, ... assume the fault is with your kit and charge you'. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: (Andy Hewitt) Re: BT HomeHub + BBC iPlayer disconnects
    ... and engineer, and guess what, the modem was knackered. ... one that they don't support - well, the supervisor I was speaking to ... The algorithm they use is `If our man can't find a fault in our kit, ... assume the fault is with your kit and charge you'. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 18, Issue 68
    ... manufacturer and your razors are charged on 110V. ... charge on 220V. ... such a modem is in the software. ... OK for starters Europe operates on 240 volts, secondly all, and I mean ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Modem wont sync or loses sync
    ... screwed in a 3 foot piece of cable into the wall outlet, ... get the modem and ...yes you guessed it, ... If you haven't even been power-cycling the modem, ... As for the possible charge if it's your fault, ...
    (comp.dcom.modems.cable)
  • Re: Virgin Media Horror Story
    ... time,is what they charged if you needed and engineer to fit the modem) ... as i had ordered the modem sent to me and i was going to install it i ... was told the charge would appear on the next bill and so would a ... credit for the same amount.Well the next bill did indeed have the £25 ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)