Broadband Packet Loss

I have broadband cable internet and have been having intermittent
problems getting around online lately.  Usually the first thing I do
when I get online is check my online email.  That often doesn't
connect and I get a 'time out' or 'server not found' message and then
when I hit the 'try again' button, get there.

This morning I called my ISP and they checked a few things at their
end and found that I had 20% packet loss.  They are sending out a
service man.

I'm wondering if anything nefarious could be behind this.  Around New
Years my AV software picked up some malware, JAVABYTEVER.A. It was
supposed to have been removed but a few weeks later I did an online
scan (after discovering that my AV software wasn't updating) and found
some some more, TRAK.SE.77236, TROJ_SE.69649, and HTTP COOKIES.  I
removed those and have scanned my system a number of times since, both
on and offline.  My AV software updates normally.

Could anything here have to do with my packet loss on my internet
signal?  Anything I should mention to the technician to look for?

(Windows XP)

  • Re: Broadband Packet Loss
    ... > I have broadband cable internet and have been having intermittent> problems getting around online lately. ... Usually the first thing I do> when I get online is check my online email. ... I had horrible packet loss problems despite good signal power levels and acceptable SNR. ... Extremely unlikely that malware would cause packet loss unless the malware is tying up your network connection so heavily that your nic/tcp/ip stack isn't keeping up. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Word 2003 Help times out
    ... Are you having problems with your internet access? ... Microsoft's online content not working perhaps? ... intermittent, then that would tend to suggest a connectivity problem. ... At the bottom of the help pane, under See Also, ...