Re: Newbie question: If you don't host a website, and....

Moe Trin wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <1138586305.237193.136510@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> q_q_anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I will learn linux, because a major goal in my life is understanding
> >computers. But, I'm going to wait until I can afford to set up a bunch
> >of computers. I have studied a bit about networks - routers, switches,
> >firewalls ,tcp/ip, and am interested only in the command line.
>
> Google for a thing called a "Live CD" version of Linux. Some of the
> many names are 'BEERnix', 'Damnsmall', 'Dyne:bolic', 'Gibraltar', 'Jollix',
> 'Knoppix', 'Lamppix', 'LinEspa', 'Mepis', and 'Slax'. This gives you a
> full Linux operating system, but because the CD is not 'read-write', you
> can't easily save your files unless you use a floppy, or are willing to
> save to your hard drive. It won't touch your hardware unless you
> specifically make it do so. There are also floppy only systems, though
> given the small size of a floppy, you can only put so much "stuff" on one.
> Toms 'Root n Boot' (tomsrtbt) is an example of that, and there are others.
> See http://www.distrowatch.com/

oh, i'm an eccentric. Computer boxes are far away from me with a KVM
Extender. I try to avoid booting from CDs. Also, when I do play with
*nix, i'll use some fully featured thing. Not a CD.

> >I recommend having all data within one directory so that it can be
> >backed up easily,
>
> [compton ~]$ find . -type f | wc -l
> 4758
> [compton ~]$
>
> That says I've got 4758 files in my home directories. That would be
> rather useless on one screen. Doesn't your backup scheme understand
> the word 'recursive'?
>
> [compton ~]$ find . -type d | wc -l
> 205
> [compton ~]$
>
> Here, there are 205 directories in my home directory, with everything
> from projects I am working on, to mail and personal configuration files
> for my browser, editor, news and mail tools. No need to dump all of that
> into one pile.

I'm not that into linux yet, so may have misinterpreted you, but it
sounds like a similar system to me then. When I said I have all my data
in one directory, I didn't mean without subdirectories.

D:\DATA>dir /ad
44 Dir(s)
D:\DATA>

err, 42 actually. DOS includes "." and ".." in its count, when not in
the root directory. I think.

  • Re: Will there ever be a time when linux is a rival to Windows?
    ... we could do to address this, at least in the Linux world. ... people are just ignorant. ... take that as a compliment. ... Problem is that most people aren't as heavily into computers as we are. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] reliability vs. latest and greatest...(was Re: Several systemd-private-* dire
    ... sysvinit of your own, show it works, or go to something that doesn't use ... It may have been perfect for your needs but you are not the entire universe of Linux never mind openSuse users. ... Of course government databases, are there to terrorise and oppress and manipulate, but those databases were around long before computers. ... backup/domain server, mail server imap server, named/bind name resolution, time ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Demand That Microsoft Sell No Code Before Its Time
    ... > would find that linux vulnerabilities are on the up. ... >> Gate$ a chance to fix a lame product with patch after patch after ... >> patch as they continue to struggle to keep their computers working. ... Windows is less secure just because it is installed on 95% of all PCs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows?
    ... No I have installed grml linux from grlm.org. ... Computers are DIRT-CHEAP to buy, ... But arguing that KDE and Gnome are big and heavy is just ... Imagine a screwdriver, JUST A BLOODY SCREWDRIVER. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: OT: Computer stuff
    ... running five home computers and admin nine more at the local library). ... I know for a fact that there is an anti-virus program available for Linux. ... It says it does not support power management under SMP as the kernel loads. ... I have taught Network+, and A+. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)