Re: Can someone just remove my hard disk and copy the contents?

>You're missing the point entirely. Whole disk encryption would have
>an unacceptably high chance of failure scenario. It does absolutely
>nothing to prevent someone from physically copying the drive if they have
>that sort of access to the hardware, and having that access means it's a

They would copy a disk full of encrypted giberish, and if a half decent
encryption program is used wouldn't have access to the information on
the disk

>fair bet they would install a logging device that would capture the keys
>to unlock the stolen data with what can only be called "ease". :(

They can't install a key logger on an encrypted disk

>That you'd suggest a software solution to a physical security problem only
>belies your ignorance. What's needed in this case is either a better
>"seal", like a vault or safe, or to simply keep possession of the

Not everyone has the luxury of a safe to keep their computer in, I
suppose you do?

>hardware. There's also a couple other possibilities like a surveillance
>"honey pot" that might have something to do with cameras or such....

>You I understand, you're a sock puppet wannabe. But I'm honestly a bit
>surprised nemo didn't see through to this simple logic. <sigh>

You sound like an ignorant troll because you are.

  • Attack Scenarios against PGPs Whole Disk Encryption (WDE)
    ... Attack Scenarios against PGP's Whole Disk Encryption ... PGP's Whole Disk Encryption for Microsoft Windows encrypts all the ... As long as standard PC hardware and BIOS is used, the boot code of the disk ...
    (comp.security.pgp.tech)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] harddisk encryption
    ... If the encryptor encrypts your boot disk, it has to be involved early in the ... boot process and may be broken by anything that changes the system boot sequence. ... normally when the encryption keys had been entered. ... registry controls that allow the swap file to be wiped on shutdown. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] harddisk encryption
    ... > boot process and may be broken by anything that changes the system boot ... In the event of disk crash or emergency, unless a tool is provided to ... > i'm evaluating a software that performs harddisk encryption for deploying ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: On the Recent PGP and Truecrypt Posting
    ... changing the passphrase would lock out prior users. ... Clearly a users with a backup copy of an encrypted disk for which they ... clear that real world users actually understand the need to re-encrypt ... You will also also see the architecture extend to some *very* cool storage encryption very soon. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Widely Used Security Solutions Unable To Prevent Data Theft
    ... Innersafe Corporation, a data security company. ... a text editor exposed protected data on a PC running disk ... "Data theft from a PC is surprisingly easy. ... Disk encryption scrambles data on the disk so it cannot be unscrambled ...
    (alt.privacy)