Re: WMF Vulnerability patch for win98 etc., REALTIME LOG

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:31:41 +0000, Peter <"veryhjdf"@kk.zz$> spewed:

>> >That line is a registry setting which loads the patch on every win98
>> >boot. So it runs all the time that win98 is running.
>> >
>> >But if you want to stop it runnnig do ALT + Ctrl + Del and cancel it.
>> >But it uses absolutely minimal resources, so I leave it running all the
>> >time.
>> >
>> >BTW no WMF exploit has yet been discovered for win98. But it's only
>> >prudent to install this patch IMO.
>> >
>> Ah, that's what I like to hear :)
>> Seems 9x is immune to most XP/2k exploits these days.
>> Nice excuse for "progress" with them eh?! But, what do you expect from M$
>> I guess.
>> Makes me wonder why you don't hear of people "downgrading" more, or going
>> to Linux or Mac more.
>>
>> So will the reg. line addition work for 95 too?
>> I've got one running that. Dunno if I'll install it if it may slow it
>> down, it's already slow enough, but I'd like to know in case any exploits
>> become known.
>
>Newer OSes tend to have more remote networking capabilities. Hence, if
>programmers slip up, more remote networking hacks!
>
>Advice I follow is to stick with win98se for internet. Use XP only for
>offline work as necessary. Dual boot is pretty easy [Google on win dual
>boot] FYI on a test system without firewall: XP -- 45 seconds to infect
>(!!) 98se -- much longer (I've seen misconfigured firewalls on win98se
>PCs that were not infected after 3 months+)

Personal test, or one you saw? I remember hearing similar, like 2min,
just outrageous! XP is just a disgrace. I shutter to think how bad the
next version they'll inflict on the world will be.

When I get multiputers up like I want, I think I will definitely be doing
as you do, 98SE and XP only when necessary and offline.

>As for win95 and this patch: don't know for sure. But as the patch is
>easily uninstalled, why not give it a try?

Laziness? heheheheh

Oh, BTW, have you seen a d/l warning from the site at top saying "no
security certificate" bla bla? I told my mother to install it (uses XP
despite my advise, like the rest of the sheep ;) and she said that's what
it gave. I didn't want to be responsible for telling her it was ok unless
it was normal, and verified ok anyway.
I don't pay a whole hell of alot of attention to those, but you never
know.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

  • RE: KB925902 update causes STOP:c000021A fatal error at boot
    ... Then go to Control Panel and remove the KB925902 patch from Add/Remove ... boot your PC into Safe Mode by pressing F8 when the boot process starts. ... earlier and reboot again normally. ... this should install the patch without trashing your machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Help! 10 (YOU) patch - X11 file rename etc ??
    ... I recall that a fairly recent patch addressed a file in X11 or ... The CRT monitor is I think indicating a display configuration ... stage of choosing which OS to boot into. ... suse ran perfectly well following the default install ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Help! 10 (YOU) patch - X11 file rename etc ??
    ... I recall that a fairly recent patch addressed a file in X11 or ... The CRT monitor is I think indicating a display configuration ... stage of choosing which OS to boot into. ... suse ran perfectly well following the default install ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Unable to reboot after latest fix
    ... You have installed "latest patch" on an XP machine ... and it fails to reboot. ... If none of the boot methods work, ... likely looking at use of a repair/upgrade install. ...
  • Re: FreeBSD 10.1-BETA3 - zfs bootblocks broken
    ... create and install into UFS filesystems. ... Executing last command: boot disk0 ... I have an ISO image I created ... Report and patch are here: ...
    (freebsd-stable)