Re: Is Microsoft serious?

Imhotep wrote:

> The question is not that every OS has security problems. The statement I
> have made, and others also, is that Microsoft is the KING of bad software
> riddled with security problems. You seem to try the old lame EXCUSE of
> popularity causes the number of security holes. BULLSHIT.

I hate to be the one to tell you this in the middle of a perfectly good
Microsoft bashing session, but if you were to actually sit back and take
stock of the number of known Windows vulnerabilities versus the number of
known Linux vulnerabilities, you'd find that Linus usually has at lease as
many if not MORE holes than Windows.

What's bullshit is the notion that Microsoft is more (quantitatively)
buggy than any other common operating system in the first place. That's a
myth that perpetrated on people who don't know any better, by talking
media heads.

Where the two "classes" of operating systems generally diverge, if they
diverge at all, is the severity of a given bug. In the multiuser world of
*nix it's not enough to just break out of a piece of running code. You
usually have to escalate privileges to do any real damage. With Windows
administrative accounts being a patched together and stapled on thing,
it's either trivial to gain admin access, or simply breaking a piece of
code will give it to you by default.

And... you hear more about Windows defects because Windows is more
popular. Not to mention the fact that every script kiddie out there is
gunning for it because it's popular. Real computer criminals go after *nix
boxes because they're more useful. The kiddies go after win* boxen because
all they really want is another bot. And they usually do it from a .nix
box. So yes, part of the myth that Win* is more buggy than *nix is due to
popularity.

By the way, I'm sitting at a *nix box on an all *nix network at the
moment. I wouldn't have my personal stuff running anything else. :) While
*nix boxes are more buggy, and more popular with the real dangerous
critters out there, they're still easier to harden, maintain securely, and
operate efficiently if you know what you're doing. And the patches
generally do come a lot faster so the bugs aren't quite so long lived.

  • Re: New years eve and my win2k boxen has locked up.
    ... I use a real *nix. ... Actually Ubuntu is pretty good. ... They have this slavish belief that by making it like microsoft, ... Use WINE and windows goes away. ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Microsoft unveils online versions of Windows Office
    ... Windows operating system and other popular software programmes, ... With a new web site called ``Windows Live,'' Microsoft hopes to create ... applications and services that can be used from any place, at any time, ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: Microsoft unveils online versions of Windows Office
    ... > Windows operating system and other popular software programmes, ... > With a new web site called ``Windows Live,'' Microsoft hopes to create ... > applications and services that can be used from any place, at any time, ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: Service pack 3
    ... As popular as Windows XP still is you don't think ... Well what Microsoft wants and what they get are two different things. ... And I don't believe they are that stupid. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Bye-bye to firewire.
    ... It was popular enough so that Microsoft even put ... USB functionality into Windows 95. ... EVEN MICROSOFT ALLOWED IT TO BE USED WITH WINDOWS. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)