Re: Free Packet Sniffers

"Maxime Ducharme" <mducharme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I also suggest Ethereal from http://www.ethereal.com/
>
> tcpdump from http://www.tcpdump.org/ will alow to capture
> data in a file for further analysis

These are really the last word in free packet sniffing. Ethereal is
the stuff.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

  • Re: packet capture
    ... >Subject: Re: packet capture ... >I agree tcpdump -w somefile is great. ... >format, so you can process it later with tcpdump, snort, ngrep, or ... >Then snort for analyzing the packets (okay tcpdump does this too, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: No packet loss, just incorrect sequence...
    ... As others have mentioned you should definitely use tcpdump to capture some traffic while downloading something. ... Not only will this clearly diagnose the TCP performance problem but it will irrefutably demonstrate it to your ISP. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Some problems in capturing traffic with tcpdump at ~ 1 Gbps
    ... hyperthreading and 2 Gbytes RAM size) ... Mbps (we have some traffic samples acquired with tcpdump). ... improvement in the packet capture process. ... With this configuration we can capture 1 Gbyte of traffic, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Network traffic capture, and rotating files with compression
    ... > I am trying to capture traffic on my network - really the Source IP, ... > writing to make it log to file, stop, compress then carry on in a new file. ... First write a script that wraps up the starting and stopping of tcpdump. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] why does "tcpdump -i any" not work on opensuse?