Re: Is Microsoft serious?

On 11 Jan 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<84wth6t4ed.fsf@xxxxxxxxx>, Todd H. wrote:

>Babel17delany <Babel17delany@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Todd, suppose I, a person who likes computing but is technically not
>> very adept, wants to try his hand at Linux. I presently use Windows
>> XP. I don't know a thing about Linux.
>> Where do I start?

"And the Queen said to Alice ``Start at the beginning - go to the end
and then stop''"

>> What do I read?

A google search will provide tons of leads - including many free books
(http://tldp.org/guides.html) and "HOWTO"s
(http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html). Your local library
probably has several books (unfortunately they tend to be older than
desirable), as does your local Barnes & Noble, Waldens, or whatever.

>> What do I buy? Building anything out of componants is way, way beyond
>> my abilities.

http://www.distrowatch.com/ The problem you will have is that of
choice. "Linux" is the operating system, but (literally) hundreds of
companies offer distributions, which are combinations of the O/S and
tools and applications. Which one is best? I dunno, which beer is
best? Which car?

You have a windoze box - probably something with an Intel Pentium, or
something from AMD or Cyrix? No problem - that's the most popular
type, and most distributions have versions for that. Is is a Mac?
While OS/X is actual a BSD in disguise, there are versions of Linux
for everything back to a Centris, on up through the very latest G6.
Got an IBM Z Series mainframe? Not a problem - several distributions
have versions for that too.

>Actually there's an excellent wonderful thing in Linux land to
>facilitate this these days--it's called a "Linux Live CD", which is an
>entire running Linux distribution on a single bootable CD-ROM.

Agreed - only problem to remember is that you can't _save_ anything
very easily.

>The first popular Live CD I think was Knoppix

And before that, there were bootable floppies - but there is only
so much you can stick onto one, and most people won't accept booting
from several to many - that gets old real quick.

>The flavor I'd point ya at is one I really dig-- it's called Ubuntu.

Does it taste like Budweiser? Or is it closer to Millers? Michelob?
Tuborg? Heiniken? Sapporo? ;-) All kidding aside, there is
choice, and that's the bottom line.

Got any friends using Linux? Use the one they do. Incidentally, that
also applies if your friends are using {Open|Free|Net}BSD. That way,
you have someone you can talk to. Also check to see if there are some
Linux User Groups in your area. Same reason.

Old guy

  • Re: Which Linux to Install for a 1st time user
    ... Got any friends using Linux? ... Linux User Groups in your area. ... This was four to seven different distributions on a bunch of CDs and ... because the distributions have gotten so large ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [OT] Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft
    ... distributions or even thought about another way of handling this ... through The Linux Foundation, for instance. ... has a new release in October/November that'll have take Secure Boot ... manufacturers have a schedule, that of Microsoft's release of Win8. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is linux free
    ... >> Linux continues to be free. ... SuSE and Gentoo are only two of the freely downloadable distributions. ... No ISOs are available for download. ... Every distribution has loads of mirrors, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux - for Scotty
    ... But it will let you get a feel for linux, to help you decide if it is ... As to distributions, I've not played with a great variety. ... If you choose to install a distro to a hard drive, performance is, ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: Just Got Back From NAMM. Why so little Linux?
    ... example Ubuntu Studio) Ardour as ready to run as it can be, ... With other distributions you might have to go out and get ... Different Linux ... and submit a "feature request". ...
    (rec.audio.pro)