Re: Newsgroup security regarding posters identity ?

Notan wrote:

>> > Other than learning which ISP/NSP you're using, not a whole lot can be
>> > uncovered.
>>
>> <laughing>
>>
>> Tell that to a guy named Mike Pratt, who just yesterday had his account
>> yanked and both his name and business horribly tarnished, because he was
>> trying to flood a remailer and someone took his IP and used it as a
>> starting point to completely demolish him in only a couple hours.
>>
>> See the posts to AP/APAS last evening for a striking example of how
>> incorrect you really are.
>
> I was under the impression the OP was concerned with someone identifying
> him (e.g., someone showing up at his front door), not identity theft.

I think you misunderstand. This person was attempting to do something that
was arguably illegal himself, attacking a service in what he obviously
thought would be an anonymous way. The only thing that was known about the
person at first was his IP number. Actually, not even that, but a "fake"
dynamic DNS account.

>From that tiny bit of information someone tracked down and exposed the
guy's IP, ISP, real name, home town, phone number, business name, business
address, and business phone number, in about an hour. Maybe even other
things, there was a lot of information about him posted. More than enough
for someone to "show up at his front door" if they wanted to. PLUS, his
ISP terminated his account.

So what you're saying about not a whole lot being discovered if you just
show your IP address is false. Sometimes it doesn't even take that much.

> Notan

  • Re: Newsgroup security regarding posters identity ?
    ... > Notan wrote: ... >>> yanked and both his name and business horribly tarnished, ... > dynamic DNS account. ... > address, and business phone number, in about an hour. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Investment through the Law of Attraction and Faith!
    ... " I WAS SHOCKED WHEN I SAW HOW MUCH MONEY ... CAME FLOODING INTO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT." ... With just £5 or $10 and a Paypal PREMIER or BUSINESS ... Simply send a $10 gift to the person at POSITION #1, ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: FreeMoneyFromPaypal?
    ... I have a more economical business for all of you, it will cost you less than ... Since all it takes is a simple "service" to be performed for money transfers ... ACCOUNT I ... HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS & MESSAGE BOARDS ...
    (comp.cad.solidworks)
  • Re: BarBcue Payments..... Get paid to cook!!!!!!!
    ... PREMIER or BUSINESS account, you could make $$Thousands$$ in 2 SIMPLE ... program offers and give the gift that gives back TODAY!!! ... Premier/BusinessPayPalaccount is to IMMEDIATELY send a $10 payment ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On
    ... with their existing customers. ... A business card with some of the things ... Mine is a plain white card with the company name in red ... few days later the money for all 11 months was back in my account. ...
    (alt.security.alarms)