Re: HDD Platter Removal

"dnss" <dnss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ZMFrf.102902$WH.28256@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Borked Pseudo Mailed" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > dnss wrote:

<snip>

> Well BORKED, I stated Factual and not B.S.
> I only read the info at Ontracks website (#1 in the DR world) re the
> data.

It's Christmas, so I'm going to be nice..

For those of us older types, "big" HDDs came as the platters mounted on a
spindle, which could then be slotted into a rather expensive drive unit.
This allowed you to (e.g.) swap the OS when performing processing above your
actual storage ability (the data to be processed was dropped to tape). The
downside was, of course, that you couldn't use the upper and lower surfaces,
as they were too vulnerable to damage.

Hence the DEC RA-60 (IIRC, "R" for removable, "A" for the bus architecture,
"6" for 6 layers used for storage, and "0" for "original version") and FA-80
(Fixed, A-bus, 8 layers on a similarly-sized platter). This was a *long*
time ago, so anyone please feel to chip in and correct any mis-rememberings.

I've used similar technology on DG Nova and Eclipse-line machines, and in
the mainframe world (although the latter not programming). It's one reason
why you still hear oldies refer to "spindles" instead of "drives".

Once a year, we'd get someone in who would ostensibly verify that all the
removable disk packs on site were OK for another year. They usually wreaked
three, on average. Consummate professionals that we were, we used to run a
sweepstake ;o)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!