Re: HDD Platter Removal

bavis wrote:
We want to be able to dismantle HDD's and destroy the platters to
ensure the data is destroyed.  This seems to require a special tool to
remove the platters from the spindle on some of the older drives.  The
spindle appears to be held on with some sort of odd plate type thing
with 6 slots on the edges.  Is there a tool somewhere to remove this?
Any recommendations on getting them off?  Thanks.

why not just bury it in the ground?

  • Re: how standardized are metal lathes?
    ... accepted two floppies on the opposite ends of a single spindle. ... hard drives: The original 30-30 drive was a dual spindle drive ... interchangeable stacks of platters in cake covers. ... These were more common in mini-computers ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: HDD Platter Removal
    ... This seems to require a special tool to remove the platters from the spindle on some of the older drives. ... This should destroy the physical platter. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: HDD Platter Removal
    ... > We want to be able to dismantle HDD's and destroy the platters to ... This seems to require a special tool to ... > remove the platters from the spindle on some of the older drives. ...
    (alt.computer.security)